Sunday, January 8, 2012

I saw this little set of basic rules and immediately thought of my mother!
Some of you will remember these days....and some of you will remember what a perfectionist my Mom was about hanging the laundry.
It gave me a chuckle!! Oh, the memories




Clotheslines....

THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES:

1. You had to wash the clothesline before hanging any clothes - walk the entire lengths of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.


2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang whites with whites, and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday ...... Never hang clothes on the weekend or Sunday for Heaven's sake

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your unmentionables in the middle

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather ... clothes would freeze-dry .

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes Pins left on the lines were tacky

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off the line before dinner time; neatly folded in the clothes basket, and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED? On Tuesday .. Well, that's a whole other subject

4 comments:

Paula said...

O, how I remember those days! Your mom and my mom must have been related! I miss them both terribly.

I wish I had a clothesline - nothing better than the smell of sunshine on sheets!

angiedunn said...

haha, this is AWESOME! ♥ i wish i had a line to dry clothes...i think it's CUTE!

Salvage Chic Lady said...

I DO have a clothesline...and love it...have to hide those "white flag" undies from the neighbors all the time!

Sassy said...

We wore half frozen clothes quite often......the whole time I grew up we never had a dryer....we put the freezing clothes on and stood in front of the wall heater or the fire place.....we always lined them up to share clothespins....and certain items we ALWAYS folded in half to hang to remain private.....I love the smell of clothes dryed on the line!!!! Thanks for the memories my friend.....