Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thanks for the memories................

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to
protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was
easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but
along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from
the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was
even used for cleaning out dirty ears.
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy
chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming
oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.
And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas
had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.
In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen
from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much
furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her
apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to
dinner.
And the home baked apple pies would be carried to the window sill to cool using that apron.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will
replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes.

I remember my Grandma Lofgreen wearing an apron, but my kids don't remember my Mom wearing one and I seldom ever wear one. My kids would tell you I really need a bib, not an apron. I've maybe been seen in an apron only on special occasions and it has to be something cute.......usually made by Diane. Someone sent me this little story in an email today and I thought it was just to cool to not share with you.

Now this is an apron for me....too cute!!

2 comments:

Paula said...

Oh, how I fondly remember Grandma's apron! ...and, my mom's and your mom's... The aprons had to have big pockets on them. I wore aprons when I was younger, and wish I had some now - like the one I just got for Haylee. Great invention and a great STORY! XOXOX

Jenny Johnson said...

I can totally picture you in that too!! You should make one like it, or maybe have someone else do it for you!!!